Evil Edna My Monthly Critic is HERE!!
It’s the first day of December and I feel like the Grinch that stole Christmas today screaming at my partner to shut up, as I need PEACE!!!! moaning as he joyfully plays Christmas songs on the radio, the radio which is also really annoying the shit out of me. I go for a run, I smother myself in beautiful oils, I meditate, I do yoga, I do my Wim Hof and cold swim...all of these normally work if I am feeling a bit low....but not today I still feel like crying my eyes out in the shower.
I check my diary and sure enough, Evil Edna aka my premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is here. Last week I was full of love and light and gratitude now I am feeling crap, everything annoys me, the dark cloud is definitely here... I am not good enough, I should give up, I look like shit!
I decided a few years ago my PMS deserved a name as we had spent so much time together, so Evil Edna she is (I should probably drop the evil... maybe one day I will I am not ready to yet)
Edna is my shadow side....angry, feeling sorry for herself, feeling like she deserves more in life, she aggravates herself she is that bad! I might even make a little sign to were on my EDNA days THIS WOMAN BITES STAY AWAY!
I sometimes think how much I would love to retreat completely at this time and just be in a little Hansel and Gretel type cabin in the forest with a hot water bottle some dark chocolate, my dog to cuddle, a good book, and a fire, so no one could annoy me and I could not annoy them either!
PMS symptoms are closely linked to changing levels of estrogen, serotonin, and progesterone. Estrogen rises during the first half of our cycle and drops during the second half, in some women serotonin stays the same but in those of us who suffer from PMS the serotonin drops as the estrogen drops. During ovulation our estrogen and progesterone peak to get ready for the making of a baby if there is no fertilization then the levels drop and for those of us whose serotonin also drops we can get a visit from Evil Edna!!!!
Here are some things that I find help with your PMS;
- First and foremost diet is key and eating lots of green leafy veggies making sure that you get enough fat, staying hydrated and also get enough fibre are all important. I supplement too and take the doterra lifelong vitality to ensure I am topping & getting all I need, these help me so much with energy and sleep. I also take 1000 mg of Evening primrose oil daily and that has helped and am starting on doterra Phytoestrogen this month as I have heard great things about this.
- Herbs that can help are Black Cohosh which is especially great if you are experiencing symptoms of menopause. Vitex (agnus-castus), Maca, Milk thistle, Dandelion root, Liquorice & Turmeric can also support (to name a few herbs there are many more)
- Getting lots of good quality sleep and taking this time to rest is very important as often PMS can lead to sleep disruption so allowing for chill time if you can. This is the winter of our cycle a time to hibernate and wind down.
- I find that tracking my cycle helps to realise I am not going mad and letting those around me know I might be a bit off.
- Essential oils definitely help me - Clary Sage, Lavender, Rose, Geranium, Ylang Ylang to name a few are great!
- Yoga and meditation definitely help me so much when we are feeling in our heads they help us get perspective even if a few minutes to help us center.
- Finding a creative outlet helps - for me, it's writing but it could be painting or dancing ....find a way to express yourself creatively – as women this is key to being happy and in our flow.
- Finally find space and time for you, I love to treat myself to a treatment at this time to help me balance (acupuncture really help me to balance)
There is so much more I could say but I just really want you to know you are not alone. Some of us definitely suffer more than others but there are natural tools we can use to support ourselves. I feel passionately about supporting women and sharing my hormone story. If you want to learn more I will be collaborating with some other beautiful women in January to bring you more women´s health presentations, if you interested to learn more please connect with me so I can share dates with you and invite you.
Thank you for taking the time to ready my blog please subscribe to my monthly mailer via my website below
Please you connect with me on social media if you want to know more about oils please shout me to as I have weekly classes and offer 121´s I also have online yoga programs if you would like to try or practise with me.
The Yoga Sanctuary Ibiza